Products You May Like
The Boston Red Sox had reason to be angry over a controversial double play call during Wednesday’s game against the Los Angeles Angels.
The Boston Red Sox entered Wednesday’s game looking to clinch the three-game series against the Los Angeles Angels before they headed back to the East Coast to face the Philadelphia Phillies. That did not happen, as the Red Sox went on to lose to the Angels 5-4. However, one of the largest takeaways was over a controversial double-play.
In the top of the sixth inning, Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez grounded into a double-play to end the inning with Boston trailing 4-3. However, Boston challenged the call because they did not believe that shortstop Jose Iglesias touched second base before throwing it to first.
Even though replay shows that Iglesias did not touch the bag, the ruling on the field was upheld following video review.
Red Sox victims of controversial double play call during Wednesday’s game vs. Angels
After the game, Cora said that even though second base umpire Alfonso Marquez was closer to the play, he did not agree with the call that Iglesias touched second base. Hence why Cora said there is “no more neighborhood play,” which is when middle infielders are granted leeway on touching second base. Yet, Iglesias does not appear to touch the bag whatsoever.
That decision had huge implications, because if the call had been overturned, the Red Sox would’ve had Christian Arroyo at second and Hunter Renfroe at third with two outs on the board. Instead, the double-play stood even after the Red Sox reviewed the neighborhood play, and the top of the sixth ended.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Angels extended their lead to 5-3 with a solo home run by Jared Walsh. Although shortstop Xander Bogaerts cut their deficit to 5-4 on an RBI double, it was not enough, as Boston officially dropped the series.